Sunday, January 5, 2014

Cooking with pizzazz, resolutions for 2014.

Every year I make the same resolutions – join a competitive hockey league, learn another language, go the gym. Rarely do I accomplish all, many, or any of the goals, but this year, with the help of YouTube, I hope to tackle a more realistic challenge; be better in the kitchen.

1)    Make real mac and cheese.
Toss out the box and powder, I want nothing more than to perfect the art of homemade mac and cheese. I remember my first attempt as a child involved tossing processed cheese with macaroni. According to my mom it was a waste of cheese and macaroni.  My first attempt as an adult involved tossing chunks of cheese (who really has time to grate cheese?) with macaroni. I can tell you myself it was a waste of cheese and macaroni.

In all my research for the perfect recipe, this seems to be the easiest, simplest, and delicious.



2)    Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Cookery Course
Did you know that all of Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Cookery Courses are on YouTube? Not just recipes, but each episode is packed with great tips and sagely advice from the Ramsay himself – like how to properly sharpen your knives and season everything with salt and pepper. His recipes are quick, cheap, healthy and most of all delicious. I’ve watched first three thus far and can’t wait to watch the rest. Grab a notepad and take notes.

Biggest tip thus far, the ‘lay away’. When cooking on a hot frying pan, lay your meats or fish away from your body to prevent hot oil splash. Genius.



3)    Bake my own bread.
There really doesn’t seem to be anything better than baking your own bread. A friend of mine bakes his own bread and some of his more unique creations are unbelievable. From olive and chili pepper sourdough bread to bacon bits Focaccia, I never realized how creative bread making could be until I was able to sample some of his wonderful creations.

Here’s a simple, (but not quick) recipe for some homemade focaccia. Get creative and get excited.



Well this is a start, let’s so how it goes. Have a wonderful 2014. What resolutions have you made for the year?

Stay hungry,

HoBot

No comments:

Post a Comment